Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
A sauce to be made with stuff you'd usually have on hand. Its my mom's recipe, with one ammendment: onions. They add a sweeter taste to the sauce. If you want it even sweeter, add a red pepper.
- 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 lb extra lean beef
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 2 (28 ounce) cans tomatoes
- 2 (5 1/2 ounce) cans tomato paste
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable stock
- 1 (14 ounce) can sliced mushrooms
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 2 bay leaves
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- Heat oil in bottom of Dutch oven.
- Cook garlic, onions,& green peppers for 3 or 4 minutes.
- Add beef,& brown, not stirring too much, because you want chunks of beef.
- Turn a few cranks of freshly ground pepper over beef as you cook.
- When beef is browned, add tomatoes, tomato paste, vegetable stock, mushrooms, basil, salt& 1/4 tsp pepper.
- Just as sauce begins to bubble, add the bay leaves, then simmer 1& 1/2 hours.
This sauce is excellent! Don't let the short ingredient list fool you, the flavor is all there. It was not difficult to make. The only changes I made to the recipe were that I used pre-minced garlic instead of fresh, and I used meatballs in addition to the meat in the sauce. A happy 'side effect' of this was that my husband, who is heartburn prone, did not experience any after eating this. This recipe will get handed down to my kids.