Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
These are sweet like traditional baked beans, yet also zesty like chili beans. A great combination of the two.
- 8 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 1 (28 ounce) can pork and beans, undrained
- 1 (15 1/2 ounce) can chili beans, undrained
- 3⁄4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1⁄2 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1 (8 ounce) canmild red enchilada sauce
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 cup shredded monterey jack cheese
- Combine all ingredients except cheese, mix gently but thoroughly.
- Place in a greased 2 quart casserole.
- Bake uncovered at 475F for 15 minutes.
- Reduce heat to 375F and bake for an additional 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Sprinkle with cheese, bake 15 minutes longer.
Ginny Sue, these beans were very good! While I only added a 1/2 cup of diced onion, I did use 9 slices of bacon, subbed "medium" heat enchilada sauce for the mild, as that's what I had in my pantry, and since I didn't have dark brown sugar, I added a 1/2 tablespoon of molasses. I omitted the cheese, and glad I did. After the beans were done baking, I added them to a 3-1/2 quart crockpot (heated on low) to keep them warm until my husband had time to grill some hamburgers. Needless to say these beans were a 'hit'!! My hubby and I enjoyed them. Ginny Sue, thank you for posting this recipe. I look forward to making these beans again.
Very delicious. I generally dislike baked beans, but these were perfect.