Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Dare to be different
Make and share this Sweet and Spicy Lentil Chili recipe from Food.com.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large yellow sweet onion, chopped
- 1 small red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons chili powder (to taste)
- 1 1⁄2 cups dried brown lentils, picked over and rinsed
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1⁄3 cup dark unsulphured molasses
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground allspice
- cayenne pepper, to taste
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup apple juice
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat; add in the onion, bell pepper, and garlic; cover and cook 5 minutes or until softened.
- Stir in chili powder; cook about 30 seconds.
- Transfer mixture to a 4-quart slow cooker; add in lentils, tomatoes, molasses, and allspice; season with cayenne, salt, and pepper.
- Stir in water and apple juice; cover and cook on LOW for 8 hours.
- Add more water if the chili gets too thick.
delicious and simple recipe. i had planned on following exactly but at the last minute was pressed for time and just threw all the ingredients into the pot (literally) at once and hoped for the best. i let it simmer the full 8 hours and taking tastes in between. at first i thought it tasted too much like bbq sauce but when it was done all of the flavors melded together very well. i had no green pepper so i subbed chopped carrots instead. had it last nite for a late dinner with some good bread and then just now for lunch; very tasty. this would be a good recipe to use if you need a healthy lunch/dinner throughout the week as it made enough for me to have lunch or dinner for three days. very healthy and great alternative to meat chilis. thanks so much for sharing.
I am addicted to this chili! My husband laughs at me because when we met, I hated chili. Now I find myself trying every kind I can find a recipe for. I've made this one a few times. Today I actually added diced carrot. I thought," it's so healthy, why not add some more good stuff? " Once again, it is great!