Recipe by justcallmetoni
Recently purchased some barley malt for a dish and was delighted with its wonderful flavor. A great sweetner with a lovely smokey taste. Then went in search of other recipes using the malt and found this one on chanadet.com. I've tweaked it a bit for my owm taste.
Top Review by Dine & Dish
I made this weeks ago and can't believe I forgot to post a review! My husband actually made this sauce... this was our first time using barley malt in a recipe. Lovely flavor, especially on the smoked pulled pork and smoked baby back ribs we used the sauce for! Delicious! Thank you!
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped or grated
- 9.85 ml olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 425.24 g canned tomatoes, chopped well
- 14.79 ml tomato paste
- 78.07 ml tomato sauce
- 59.16 ml ketchup
- 19.71 ml barley malt
- 14.79 ml cider vinegar
- 14.79 ml Worcestershire sauce
- 0.59 ml dry mustard
Directions See How It's Made
- Sauté the onion in olive oil in a saucepan until soft, about 3-4 minutes on medium/low heat.
- Add the garlic and sauté 2 minutes more.
- Add the chopped tomatoes, tomato paste, tomato sauce, ketchup and stir well. Then add the Barley Malt, vinegar, Worcestershire sauce and dry mustard. Combine well.
- Simmer for 25 minutes on low heat, stirring occasionally until thickened. Let cool.