1/2 Photos of Sweet and Sour Mango Chicken S-C-J
Nana Lee's Note:
This was originally for shrimp, but I don't like seafood so I changed it. Site quote: "I stopped ordering sweet and sour dishes at my favorite Chinese restaurant when I discovered the calorie count was over the top. So I was delighted when Chef James Brockman helped me whip up this lighter version using mangoes—a delicious, low-cal fruit that is rich in nutrition, packed with beta-carotene and excellent in aiding digestion. Pair it with our Sesame Garlic Broccoli and serve over your favorite rice. Jasmine rice, found in most grocery stores, is very aromatic and goes perfectly with this dish."
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 small red onion, sliced on the bias (or 1/2 cup)
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1 cup thinly sliced carrot
- 1/3 cup scallion, sliced 1/2 inch long
- 1 cup thinly sliced celery
- 1 cup thinly sliced red bell pepper
- 1 1/2 lbs bite sized chunks chicken meat
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup diced mango
- 1 (5 ounce) can sliced water chestnuts, drained
- 1/2 cup sweet and sour sauce
- 1In a large skillet, heat the vegetable oil until hot.
- 2Add onion and sauté for 1 minute.
- 3Add the mushrooms, carrots, scallions, celery, and bell pepper.
- 4Sauté for 3 minutes.
- 5Add the chicken and salt, cook for 6-8 minutes until the chicken is done, no pink juices.
- 6Add the mango, water chestnuts and Sweet and Sour Sauce.
- 7Continue to cook for 1 minute until hot.
- 8Serve over rice.
- 10If you would like this dish juicier so it soaks into the rice, use more than 1/2 cup of the Sweet and Sour Sauce.
- 11Or, make extra sauce and serve it as a dip for fresh vegetables or chicken fingers.
Browse Our Top Chicken Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Sweet and Sour Mango Chicken S-C-J
Serving Size: 1 (411 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 379.1
- Calories from Fat 119
- Total Fat 13.2 g
- Saturated Fat 2.4 g
- Cholesterol 119.1 mg
- Sodium 875.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 26.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.2 g
- Sugars 16.8 g
- Protein 38.7 g