Recipe by Kittencal@recipezazz
This will serve a big gang of friends, it is easy to put together, and you can brown the beef ahead of time even a day ahead, then prepare the recipe, and stick it in your crockpot to keep warm, serve it straight from there and enjoy. This recipe should be enough for 15-18 people if not more! I have even added two sliced green peppers in with the sauce towards the end of cooking time. Be certain to serve this with lots of large crusty bread rolls. Your friends will really enjoy this! The recipe may be cut in half and all ingredients may be adjusted to suit taste.
- 8 -10 lbs sirloin (cut the beef while still semi-frozen, it is much easier) or 8 -10 lbs round beef, cut into about 2-inch strips (cut the beef while still semi-frozen, it is much easier)
- 1 cup flour
- oil (for frying)
- 5 cups water
- 3 1⁄2 cups ketchup
- 1 1⁄4 cups brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1 1⁄4 cups red wine vinegar
- 5 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 5 medium onions, chopped
- 2 -3 tablespoons fresh minced garlic (optional)
- seasoning salt
- pepper (can use regular salt)
Directions See How It's Made
- Dredge the beef strips in flour, salt and pepper in a large Dutch oven.
- Brown in a large skillet, working in batches.
- In a saucepan combine water, ketchup, brown sugar, vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, onion, garlic (if using) seasoning salt and pepper.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer on low heat, covered for about 10 minutes.
- Pour over the beef strips and cook on low heat for about 1-1/2 - 2 hours, or until the beef is desired tenderness, stirring occasionally.
- **NOTE** If you are serving this from your crockpot, set the temperature to low as the beef will dry out if overcooked.