1 hr 20 mins
The secret ingredient in this lasagna is the brown sugar in the sauce. It gives it such a savory taste! I also really like using cottage cheese instead of the traditional ricotta — it's more moist, tastes delicious, and is also cheaper. This lasagna is very saucy and can be soupy the day it's made (especially if you are using a smaller pan with 12 noodles instead of 15). It still tastes great though. By the second day the noodles will suck up the excess sauce but leave enough so that this lasagna never gets dried out (I can't stand dry lasagna). Hope you enjoy it as much as my husband does!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 12 -15 lasagna noodles (depending on pan size)
- 1 -1 1/2 lb ground meat
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 -2 teaspoon of minced garlic (optional)
- 91 ounces spaghetti sauce (I like the big Prego 67 oz. jars with the addition of a 24-oz. jar)
- 1/2 cup brown sugar (more or less to taste)
- 2 eggs
- 4 cups shredded mozzarella cheese, divided into 3 and 1
- 1 (24 ounce) container cottage cheese
- parsley, to sprinkle on top (optional)
- 1Boil the lasagna noodles until done; rinse.
- 2Brown the ground meat, onion, and garlic; drain fat.
- 3In a large bowl, mix the spaghetti sauce and brown sugar.
- 4In another bowl, mix the eggs, 3 cups of mozzarella, and cottage cheese.
- 5Preheat oven to 350.
- 6In a large, deep casserole dish, start layering your lasagna. Start with sauce, then noodles, then half the meat, more sauce to cover the meat, and half the cheese mixture. Repeat. You will end with the third layer of noodles covered in the last of the sauce. Be generous with the sauce even if it seems to be getting soupy; the noodles are going to suck it all up.
- 7Cover with foil (shiny side in) and bake at 350 for 45 minutes.
- 8Remove foil cover and spread the remaining mozzarella cheese on top. Sprinkle with parsley for color.
- 9Bake uncovered for another 10 minutes or until cheese is completely melted.
- 10Let cool for at least 10 minutes before serving.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Sweet and Savory Lasagna
Serving Size: 1 (267 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 614.2
- Calories from Fat 205
- Total Fat 22.8 g
- Saturated Fat 10.6 g
- Cholesterol 109.7 mg
- Sodium 1425.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 69.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.9 g
- Sugars 33.5 g
- Protein 31.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included: