Prep 10 mins
Cook 40 mins
This is a savory sandwich with a nice hint of sweet brown sugar. The cranberry bun is very easy to make and really brings this breakfast to the next level. If you do not use salted butter you may want to sprinkle a dash of salt on the eggs while they cook. Please don't be worried about the long list of directions, it's really not hard to make!
- 1 (13 1/2 ounce) container pizza dough, refrigerated
- 8 slices bacon, center cut
- 8 slices havarti cheese
- 3 teaspoons brown sugar, packed and separated
- 1⁄2 cup fresh cranberries or 1⁄2 cup frozen cranberries
- 4 eggs
- 2 tablespoons butter, salted
- FOR THE BUNS:.
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a food processor or by hand rough chop the cranberries. In a medium bowl mix the cranberries with 1 tsp brown sugar.
- Add the dough to the bowl and mix in the cranberries by hand. Just smash up the dough and form back into a ball.
- Let the dough rest while you prepare the bacon.
- FOR THE BACON:.
- Lay the bacon slices on a baking sheet covered in foil. Sprinkle with the remaining 2 tsp of brown sugar. Bake for about 10-15 minutes or until crispy. Let cool for a few minutes before removing from pan to drain on paper towels.
- While the bacon is cooking, cut dough into 4 equal pieces and drop like biscuits onto a lightly greased baking sheet. (They really should look like biscuits). Bake for about 25 minutes or until the tops are completely golden and the bottoms are brown, but not burning.
- Remove from oven and let cool while you prepare the eggs.
- FOR THE EGGS:.
- You're just making a simple fried egg(or if you like your scrambled do that instead). Melt the butter in a small frying pan over medium heat. Crack one egg into the pan and let cook until the whites begin to set.
- If you have room for more eggs add each one after the whites of the others have just started to set so they don't cook together quite as much.
- Flip the eggs over and cook until desired doneness. I do mine for about 2 minutes on each side, but it's really up to your taste here.
- Remove eggs from pan and let rest on a plate while you assemble the sandwiches.
- TO ASSEMBLE:.
- Cut the buns in half and but one slice of cheese, one fried egg and two slices of bacon on each.
- Grab a napkin cause these are a little messy :).
I was intrigued with this idea so had to try it. I found it interesting and a definite way to jazz up breakfast. I liked the mild tartness to the bread & liked the contrast of the sweet bacon. I would make smaller buns though next time. I elected to fold 2 whole eggs & 2 egg whites into an omelette and then sliced for the sandwiches. I also used a jalapeno havariti. I was confused by the instructions as it only provides for half the cheese. Good luck in the contest!
Fun idea! The brown sugar bacon is a nice way to dress this up. The cranberries, even with some brown sugar, were a little distracting from their tartness, so I think I might use dried cranberries next time to capitalize on the sweet/salty combo. Thanks for sharing!