Prep 2 hrs
Cook 2 hrs
Wonderful, delicious, totally worthe the effort!!! Think of it as a jellied veal pate.
- 2 kg veal, with bones (or beef, 4.5 lbs)
- 2 liters water
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 10 white peppercorns
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 cloves
- 2 yellow onions
- 2 tablespoons gelatin powder
- Total boiling time approximately 90 minutes. Bring the meat to boil in the water, skim off the foam. Add the spices and one quartered onion, cover and let it simmer for 60 minutes. Remove the meat from the bones and set it aside, return the bones to the water and continue simmering for another 20 minutes. Strain the resulting buillion and set aside while grinding the meat. Add the second onion, also quartered, to the meat during grinding - re-grinding the meat makes for a smoother finished product.
- Return the ground meat to the buillion and return to a boil. Stir in the gelatin and maintain heat for 10 minutes.
- Pour into 2 inch deep pans and let the kalvsylta set in a cool place (don't let it freeze as it will lose its integrity).