Top Review by Charmed
I'm not sure if this is a cookie or a coffee cake, but whatever it is, it is delicious, very attractive and appetizing to serve, and quite easy to prepare. A great, not overly sweet treat, perfect with coffee or tea, that uses ingredients I think most would have available at hand most of the time. I did use cinnamon applesauce, but I think plain would be just as good. The dough part is crispy, somewhat like a pie dough, and the taste is similar to a bite of apple pie with much less work and time. A definite keeper, especially if I need something to impress, and need it fast.
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons sugar, divided
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 1 cup Mott's cinnamon applesauce, divided
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped walnuts
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oven to 375°F.
- In bowl, mix flour, 2 tablespoons sugar and salt; cut in butter until mixture is crumbly.
- Stir in egg; form dough into a ball.
- Cover; chill for 15 minutes.
- Divide dough in half.
- On lightly greased baking sheet, shape each half into a 10X2- inch rectangle.
- Make a 1-inch wide indentation down the center length of each rectangle; fill each with 1/2 cup of applesauce.
- Mix remaining 1 tablespoon sugar, walnuts and cinnamon; sprinkle on dough along sides of applesauce filling.
- Bake 20 minutes.
- Cool slightly on wire rack.
- Cut into 1-inch diagonal slices.
- Cool completely.
- Store in airtight container.