Prep 30 mins
Cook 57 mins
From Toronto Star website Cardamom is a highly aromatic spice popular in Scandinavian baking. Since you are unlikely to use it often, I recommend buying exactly what you need at a bulk store. Cooking time includes resting time and cooling time between steps. These cookies are very hard so be sure to serve them with a beverage ie milk or coffee
- In medium bowl, combine flour, cardamom, baking powder and salt; set aside.
- In stand mixer fitted with paddle, mix butter and sugar on low speed until just combined.
- Beat on medium-high until fluffy, about 1 minute.
- Reduce to low; add vanilla.
- Add eggs one at a time until combined.
- Slowly add dry ingredients until combined.
- Stop machine and fold in nuts by hand.
- Cover dough with plastic wrap; let rest for 10 minutes.
- Line 12- by 18-inch baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Transfer dough onto lightly floured work surface and divide in two.
- Roll each portion into 14-inch log and transfer to prepared sheet. Lightly flatten logs with hands to 2-1/2 inches wide.
- Bake on middle rack until golden at edges and firm in centre, about 25 minutes.
- Cool 15 minutes; transfer to cutting board.
- With sharp serrated knife, cut into 3/4-inch thick pieces.
- Place on sheet cut side down.
- Bake on lower rack until bottoms are lightly golden, about 12 minutes.
- Flip cookies and bake on bottom rack until golden, about 10 minutes.
- Cool completely before storing in airtight container for up to one month.