Prep 10 mins
Cook 22 mins
The surprise is a chocolate egg baked inside the cupcake! Yum! These cupcakes are so pretty, especially when you ice them with pastel colors for Easter or Spring. I got this from an old Woman's World magazine.
- 1 (18 ounce) package yellow cake mix
- 3 eggs
- 1⁄3 cup oil, for the cake mix
- 24 paper baking cups
- 24 vanilla wafers
- 24 small solid chocolate eggs, unwrapped
- 2 (16 ounce) cans vanilla frosting (or your own)
- food coloring
- sugar crystals or candy sprinkles
- Preheat oven according to cake mix package.
- Line cupcake pans with cupcake liners.
- Place 1 vanilla wafer in bottom of each.
- Prepare cake mix according to box.
- Fill cups halfway with batter.
- Place chocolate egg in center of each cup.
- Top with remaining batter.
- Bake 18 to 22 minutes or until golden.
- Cool, completely.
- Tint frosting with food coloring as desired.
- Frost cupcakes and decorate with sugar or sprinkles.
These were so fun to make with my 7 year old! He did all of it himself and I iced them. I thought these were really good...just didn't care for the wafer texture at the bottom, but I ate around it easy enough...I will keep this recipe and make again for sure. UPDATE**** 1 week later and I am still eating on this cupcakes...still delicious, vanilla wafer softened up and can't tell a difference from the cake at this point. LOVE THEM!
Fun idea. We used German chocolate cake mix since that's what we had on hand. The wafer is soft the next day and tastes just like the rest of the cake. The chocolate inside is a nice treat.
I made these for Easter and they were very good. I used this recipe because it was fast and easy to make, and for that it gets 5 stars. Next time, if I have more time to spare, I would make a cake from scratch and put the chocolate inside. I loved finding that treat in the middle! Thanks for a great and quick recipe, Aunt Paula!