The surprise is a chocolate egg baked inside the cupcake! Yum! These cupcakes are so pretty, especially when you ice them with pastel colors for Easter or Spring. I got this from an old Woman's World magazine.
- 1 (18 ounce) package yellow cake mix
- 3 eggs
- 1⁄3 cup oil, for the cake mix
- 24 paper baking cups
- 24 vanilla wafers
- 24 small solid chocolate eggs, unwrapped
- 2 (16 ounce) cans vanilla frosting (or your own)
- food coloring
- sugar crystals or candy sprinkles
- Preheat oven according to cake mix package.
- Line cupcake pans with cupcake liners.
- Place 1 vanilla wafer in bottom of each.
- Prepare cake mix according to box.
- Fill cups halfway with batter.
- Place chocolate egg in center of each cup.
- Top with remaining batter.
- Bake 18 to 22 minutes or until golden.
- Cool, completely.
- Tint frosting with food coloring as desired.
- Frost cupcakes and decorate with sugar or sprinkles.