Prep 15 mins
Cook 6 hrs
When I first saw this recipe, I was skeptical, (I mean, salsa and peanut butter??)....but the recipe came from the Looney Spoons cookbooks, and I have in the past enjoyed everything that has come from there!! Surprised me.... the ingredients marry up very well. This recipe is fast and easy to make up and dump into the crock pot....or prepare for the freezer for a later date (instructions for a quick thaw). We loved this one...so much that my lovely daughter took all the leftovers to work and didn't even save me some for my lunch!!
- 12 boneless chicken thighs
- 1 cup salsa
- 1⁄3 cup reduced-fat peanut butter
- 2 tablespoons frozen orange juice concentrate
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon gingerroot, grated
- 1⁄2 teaspoon curry powder
- Whisk together all sauce ingredients in the slow cooker.
- Place chicken thighs over sauce; turn pieces to coat both sides.
- Cover and cook on low heat for 5 - 6 hours or high heat setting for 2-1/2 - 3 hours.
- Note: If preparing for the freezer, combine the chicken with the sauce in a zip lock bag. Lay the chicken thighs flat and freeze on a cookie sheet. For a quick thaw, remove the thighs and place in a sink of tepid water for 20 - 30 minutes.
Don't waste your good salsa. Had no flavor, so much broth that I had to drain it off, add cream of mushroom and corn starch to try and thicken it up. the upside, the rice was perfect
This was a tasty and rich dish! I didn't have time to do it in the slow cooker so I just cooked it in a wok. Mixed all the ingredients as it says in the recipe, cooked the chicken first, steamed some broccoli, then combined it all in the wok. I also used chicken breast as that was all I had. Might cut back a little bit on the peanut butter next time. Served on basmati rice. Delicious!
This was a fine super. I was happy with the way the salsa and peanut butter played off of each other I did sprinkle a little Tony Chachere's Creole Seasoning on top of the chicken before adding to the mix. I took the leftovers and put it on warm tortilla's the next day for lunch with Ramen noddles. IT WAS AWSOME! Thanks I'll make it again