Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
You can control the heat with the amount of pepper flakes you add. We like ours hot!
- 12 ounces small shell pasta
- 2 cups chopped onions
- 3 cups chopped fresh tomatoes or 1 (28 ounce) can tomatoes (Fresh is best.)
- 1 chopped red bell pepper
- 1⁄2 cup chopped celery
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 package surimi, chopped
- 1 package toasted slivered almonds
- 1 (8 ounce) package mushrooms, quartered
- 1 teaspoon italian seasoning (or more to taste)
- dried red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon Equal sugar substitute
- garlic powder
- Cook shells according to package directions.
- In large sauce pan cook onions until onions are translucent.
- Toss in bell peppers, tomatoes, mushrooms, and celery.
- Cook about 5 minutes stirring frequently.
- Add Italian seasoning, red pepper flakes, Equal, garlic powder, and almonds.
- Simmer about 15 minutes.
- Add surimi and pasta, cook just until surimi is hot.