Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 50 mins
Cook 40 mins
Deep fried cornmeal sticks - a popular treat in Puerto Rico. From islandflave.com. Serving size wasn't stated, so yield is a guess. PREP TIME INCLUDES REFRIGERATION AND COOL-OFF TIME
- Place water, salt, onion powder, garlic powder, and Sazon seasoning into a sauce pan. Bring to a boil.
- Lower heat, add cornmeal slowly, stir to avoid creating lumps. Keep stirring, & continue cooking on low heat.
- Remove from heat, add the cheese and blend well. Allow to cool for 15 minutes.
- Put a teaspoon of the mixture in the palm of your hand. Place on flat surface, roll into sticks.
- Place the corn sticks on a tray, cover with wax paper and put in refrigerator for 30 minutes.
- Heat oil in deep fryer, fry the corn sticks until golden brown.
- Drain on paper towel to remove excess oil.
- NOTE: Goya Sazon is a seasoned salt that is used daily in most of Latin America, including the Caribbean. You can easily find it in the Hispanic aisle of most grocery stores, or in a Hispanic market.
I used the Badia brand of Sazon seasoning (without the msg) and since the sazon is seasoned salt, left out the extra salt and it turned out fine to me. Not in the mood to dirty my hands so I just made drop cornbread with two spoons and they fried up wonderfully. Served with fried chicken - a great meal with Puerto Rican flavor!!