1 hr 30 mins
Deep fried cornmeal sticks - a popular treat in Puerto Rico. From islandflave.com. Serving size wasn't stated, so yield is a guess. PREP TIME INCLUDES REFRIGERATION AND COOL-OFF TIME
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Place water, salt, onion powder, garlic powder, and Sazon seasoning into a sauce pan. Bring to a boil.
- 2Lower heat, add cornmeal slowly, stir to avoid creating lumps. Keep stirring, & continue cooking on low heat.
- 3Remove from heat, add the cheese and blend well. Allow to cool for 15 minutes.
- 4Put a teaspoon of the mixture in the palm of your hand. Place on flat surface, roll into sticks.
- 5Place the corn sticks on a tray, cover with wax paper and put in refrigerator for 30 minutes.
- 6Heat oil in deep fryer, fry the corn sticks until golden brown.
- 7Drain on paper towel to remove excess oil.
- 8NOTE: Goya Sazon is a seasoned salt that is used daily in most of Latin America, including the Caribbean. You can easily find it in the Hispanic aisle of most grocery stores, or in a Hispanic market.
Browse Our Top Puerto Rican Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Puerto Rican Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Surillitos De Maiz (Puerto Rican Cornmeal Sticks)
Serving Size: 1 (226 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 407.2
- Calories from Fat 183
- Total Fat 20.4 g
- Saturated Fat 12.1 g
- Cholesterol 59.3 mg
- Sodium 954.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 39.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.8 g
- Sugars 0.7 g
- Protein 18.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included: