Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Deep fried cornmeal sticks - a popular treat in Puerto Rico. From islandflave.com. Serving size wasn't stated, so yield is a guess. PREP TIME INCLUDES REFRIGERATION AND COOL-OFF TIME
- Place water, salt, onion powder, garlic powder, and Sazon seasoning into a sauce pan. Bring to a boil.
- Lower heat, add cornmeal slowly, stir to avoid creating lumps. Keep stirring, & continue cooking on low heat.
- Remove from heat, add the cheese and blend well. Allow to cool for 15 minutes.
- Put a teaspoon of the mixture in the palm of your hand. Place on flat surface, roll into sticks.
- Place the corn sticks on a tray, cover with wax paper and put in refrigerator for 30 minutes.
- Heat oil in deep fryer, fry the corn sticks until golden brown.
- Drain on paper towel to remove excess oil.
- NOTE: Goya Sazon is a seasoned salt that is used daily in most of Latin America, including the Caribbean. You can easily find it in the Hispanic aisle of most grocery stores, or in a Hispanic market.