Prep 15 mins
Cook 8 mins
These cookies have a very soft, chewy texture. The splash of rum is what sets these apart from other cookie recipes.
- 1 cup margarine (or butter)
- 1⁄4 cup peanut butter
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 tablespoon rum
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- 1 1⁄3 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- Mix margarine (or butter) with the peanut butter.
- Add the sugars, vanilla,rum and milk and mix thoroughly until well blended.
- Stir in chocolate chips.
- Mix flour with baking powder (If using unsalted butter, also add about 1/2 tsp salt).
- Add flour mix to the wet ingredients and stir just until all the flour is incorporated.
- OPTIONAL: Throw in the freezer for 20-30 minutes. The dough will be easier to work with afterwards.
- Drop by spoonful onto greased baking sheet. Press down to flatten.
- Bake at 375 for 8 minutes. Don't overbake!
I don't know what I did wrong here. I used Earth Balance instead of dairy margarine or butter, but I don't think that would have made any difference. The cookies spread out really thin and tasted too much like butter. With the peanut butter added, maybe it didn't need so much butter? The rum was a nice addition, and the dough did taste good!