Recipe by grandma2969
These are way better than store bought cake ice cream sandwiches--at least in my opinion.
Top Review by JustMeMelMel
This is the way to go when you want to try your luck at making ice cream sandwiches, which my whole family loves! These are so good my DH and I had a contest to see who could stay out of them the longest and he made a mad dash for them before I did, so he had to do dishes! The kids adore them and ask me to make them at least once a month. With summer almost over, I just may get a break, but I will save the recipe as we really love these in the heat of the summer. Delicious!
- 1 1⁄2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1⁄2 cup butter, cut in pieces
- 1 teaspoon instant coffee
- 2 teaspoons hot water
- 2 large eggs
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 2 pints ice cream, softened
Directions See How It's Made
- Position a rack in the middle of the oven.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Put chocolate chips, butter and dissolved coffee in a heatproof container or top of double boiler, over barely simmering water. Stir mixture till chocolate chips and butter are melted and smooth. Set aside to cool.
- In a large bowl using an electric mixer on medium speed, beat the eggs, sugar, salt and vanilla until thickened and light yellow in color, 2-3 minutes. Be sure to scrape down the sides of bowl if needed during mixing.
- Turn mixer speed to low and add flour mixture just until it is incorporated. Set the batter aside for about 15 minutes to thicken slightly.
- Using a measuring cup with 1/4 cup capacity, scoop up portions of batter and drop onto prepared baking sheets.
- Spacing the cookies 3" apart -- be sure to get all the batter out of the bowl to make the cookies.
- Bake the cookies one sheet at a time until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out with moist crumbs, not wet batter clinging to it, about 13 minutes. Then use a wide metal spatula to loose the cookies from the parchment paper to transfer them to wire racks to cool completely.
- Wrap the cookies individually to plastic wrap and freeze them for at least 3 hours or overnight.
- Remove the cookies from the freezer and turn half of them bottom side up.
- I usually sit my ice cream in the refrigerator for about 15-20 minutes in the refrigerator and then use about 1/3 cup. Smooth the edges of the ice cream and then top with another cookie, flat side down.pressing gently into the ice cream.
- Wrap the ice cream sandwiches tightly in plastic wrap and freeze it.
- Continue filling and freezing remaining cookies. You will probably have some ice cream left over.
- Freeze the ice cream sandwiches for at least 2 hours or up to one week.
- If you are storing them longer than one week, seal the wrapped sandwiches in a clean container.serve frozen.