Prep 1 hr
Cook 35 mins
I got this recipe off of southernplate.com website. I adjusted mine just a bit by adding cinnamon and nuts - just seemed wrong without but I bet it's great either way!! Look for edible glitter to add to this cake. Traditional King Cake colors are: Purple - to symbolize Justice Green - to symbolize Faith Gold - to symbolize Power
- 1 lb roll frozen bread dough, thawed (Rhodes)
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon lemon extract
- cinnamon (optional)
- pecans, chopped (optional)
Powdered Sugar Icing
- 1 1⁄2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 3 -5 tablespoons milk (more if needed)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract or 1 teaspoon clear butter flavoring
- On floured surface, roll out your dough to a rectangle of about 10 x 18 inches. It doesn’t have to be exact. In a mixing bowl, combine cream cheese, powdered sugar, and extract and mix until creamy and blended. Spread over dough to within an inch of each side. If you choose to add cinnamon and pecans sprinkle them on now. Roll up longways (to make a long log) and brush the final edge with water before pressing it into the log to seal.
- Take log and form into a circle, pressing the ends into each other and brushing with water if needed to seal together. Spray top lightly with cooking spray and cover with plastic wrap. Set in warm place to rise for 45 minute to an hour. Remove plastic wrap and bake in 350 degree oven for 30-35 minutes. Allow to cool. Mix confectioner’s glaze and drizzle over top of cake with a spoon. Immediately sprinkle colored sprinkles over glaze if desired. Allow to sit until glaze hardens.