Prep 0 mins
Cook 15 mins
Crab, Shrimp, and White Fungus Soup From Vietnam by way of Soupsong.com
- 1⁄2 ounce dried white fungus or 1⁄2 ounce tree ear mushroom
- 1 teaspoon peanut oil
- 1 large shallot, sliced thin
- 1 pinch white pepper
- 1 hot chili pepper, seeded and sliced thinly
- 1⁄4 lb medium shrimp, peeled deveined
- 1⁄4 lb cooked crabmeat
- 3 cups chicken stock, see note
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 egg white, lightly whisked
- white pepper
- 1 tablespoon fresh cilantro, chop extra fine, garnish (optional)
- hot chili-garlic sauce, garnish (optional)
- Notes:Reconstitute the fungus or tree ears in hot water for about 10 minutes. You want them soft and expanded. Chop coarsely. If you are using the fungus do so after cutting away hard knobs. Note the colors won't be the same but tree ear mushrooms work. Use vietnamese chicken stock, or regular chicken stock simmered with a 1-inch piece ginger that has been crushed with a blow. Dissolve the cornstarch in the 2 tbsp water.
- Heat oil over med high then saute shallot and white pepper for a minute before stirring in the shrimp. Cook for another minute flip halfway thru.
- Add stock then add crab and fungus or mushrooms. Simmer and thicken with cornstarch stir constantly.
- When cooked pour egg whites in slow steady stream. Stir slowly. You want ribbons like egg drop soup. Remove from heat and season with salt and pepper if needed then place in serving bowls. Garnish with cilantro if using. Put the garlic hot sauce on the side.