Prep 50 mins
Cook 10 mins
From the magazine's August 2007 edition, this shell goes with our posted "Sunset's Triple Coconut Cream Mini Pies...Unbaked, formed pastry shells keep, frozen, a few weeks." Prep/cook time = 1 hour plus at least 1-1/2 hours of chilling time.
- 1 cup flour
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄2 cup sweetened flaked coconut
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter, cold, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon kosher salt, coarse
- 3 -5 tablespoons ice water
- In a food processor, pulse together flour, coconut, butter, sugar, and salt to form coarse crumbs. Add ice water 1 tbsp at a time, pulsing after each addition, just until dough holds together when you pinch it. (It will still look like crumbs.).
- Turn crumbs out onto counter, form into a ball, and divide into 9 equal parts, forming each into a small disk. Wrap each disk in plastic wrap and chill at least 30 minutes and up to 1 hour.
- Unwrap rounds and, working with one disk at a time, set on a lightly floured work surface. With short strokes from center outward, roll dough into a 5-inch circle (about 1/8 inch thick). Transfer dough to brioche mold, letting it fall into place (if you push or stretch the dough, it will shrink back when baked). Trim overhang flush with edge. Prick bottom lightly with a fork. Repeat with remaining rounds and molds. Chill unbaked pie shells for 1 hour before baking.
- Put an oven rack on lowest rung and preheat oven to 400 degrees. Lay a sheet of parchment paper in each pie shell and fill with dried beans or pie weights. Put shells on a cookie sheet and bake until medium golden brown, 10 to 12 minutes. Remove beans and parchment paper; return shells to oven. Bake until bottoms of crusts have golden brown patches, about 10 minutes. Let cool before filling.
- "NOTES: You'll need nine 1-1/2 inch x 3-1/2 inch fluted nonstick brioche molds, available at Sur La Table (www.surlatable.com), to make this recipe.".