Prep 0 mins
Cook 0 mins
- 4 tablespoons vegetable shortening
- 1⁄3 cup unbleached flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2⁄3 cup milk
- 2⁄3 cup water
- 4 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup cheddar cheese, Sharp, Shredded
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Place eight 6-oz custard cups on a large baking sheet.
- Spoon 1 1/2 tsp of shortening into the bottom of each custard cup and set aside.
- Combine the flour and salt in a large bowl, then gradually stir in the milk and water until well blended.
- Beat in the eggs, 1 at a time, beating until smooth after each addition.
- Fold in the cheddar cheese.
- Place the baking sheet with the custard cups in the preheated oven for 3 to 5 minutes until the shortening melts and the custard cups are hot.
- Fill the custard cups 1/2 to 2/3rds full with the batter.
- Bake for 45 minutes in the preheated oven, without opening the oven door until the popovers rise and turn golden brown.
- If not golden brown after 45 minutes, bake for an additional 5 minutes.
- Serve piping hot.
Beachie this are tops and a definite keeper!!! I used Vermont white sharp cheddar and they were fantastic!!! Anyone making these cannot go wrong or they just can bake at aaaaalllllllll.........
Yummy is the word and impressive!!! Got raves!!! Always, Jelly XO
P.S. Follow the directions and you can't miss.
Excellent recipe , perfect oven time. I made half of the recipe that meant half of 1/3 cup flour - I followed the recipe instructions & amountsbut I thought no way is this going to work - the batter is much too thin - IT WORKS You can see by the picture how perfect they came out. I did not have any shortening so I used lite olive oil in the muffin tin. For the cheddar I used low fat cheddar (this is not my favorite it is my doctor's favorite) and even using this the popovers were very flavorful, perfect texture. This is a winner Thanks Barefoot Beachcomber