3 hrs 10 mins
2 hrs 30 mins
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- olive oil
- 1 lb bone in country-style spareribs or 1 lb pork neck bones
- 1 lb mild Italian sausage
- 5 garlic cloves (I use 5)
- 1/2 cup tomato paste, less than
- 3 (14 1/2 ounce) cans peeled whole tomatoes (or if you want use peeled fresh tomatoes from the garden)
- salt and pepper
- fresh basil leaf (you can buy it in the produce section)
- 1SAUCE: Heat oil in large heavy pot (use a seasoned pot if you have one). Place the pork in the pot and brown until just about cooked. Transfer pork to plate. Do the same with the sausage and transfer to plate. Leave fat in pot. Add whole peeled garlic cloves cook until tender. Put garlic on plate with meat and stir in tomato paste until "saucy". Chop up tomatoes leaving the tomato juice in the cans (I use my chopper) and add them to the pot.
- 2Then add 1/2 of one can of the juice to the pot. Add salt and pepper to taste. Add the meats and garlic to the sauce and bring to a boil. Turn down to low and cook for about 1 1/2 hours. Leave the sauce on low and remove all the meat and garlic cloves.
- 3Mix all ingredients for meatballs and shape into balls. Add to sauce turn up just a little higher than low and let cook the raw meatballs until they are done (1/2 hour) THATS IT!
- 4Now this is an old recipe, but I have seen it in the sopranos cookbook and this is a bit different.
- 5I used this sauce to make the ziti al forno from the sopranos cookbook (Ziti Al Forno (From the Sopranos Family Cookbook)) and it was the most amazing thing I have ever eaten, so I posted that too.
Browse Our Top Savory Sauces Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Savory Sauces Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Sunday Gravy (Real Italian Spaghetti Sauce)and Meatballs
Serving Size: 1 (196 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 16
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 309.8
- Calories from Fat 188
- Total Fat 20.9 g
- Saturated Fat 7.4 g
- Cholesterol 95.8 mg
- Sodium 613.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 10.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.6 g
- Sugars 3.8 g
- Protein 19.4 g