Prep 25 mins
Cook 20 mins
Muffins with a Mediterranean flavour. I got this recipe on a little card printed by Riverina, the sundried tomato people :o)
- 100 g sun-dried tomatoes
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup self raising flour
- 1⁄4 cup pitted black olives, chopped
- 1 (130 g) can corn kernels, drained
- 1 cup grated tasty cheese
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1 1⁄4 cups buttermilk
- 1⁄4 cup sunflower oil
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- Place sundried tomatoes in a bowl, cover with boiling water and allow to soak for 30 seconds or until softened.
- Drain and allow to cool.
- Place flours in a bowl, add tomatoes, olives, corn, cheese and rosemary.
- Mix to combine.
- Place buttermilk, oil and egg in a bowl and whisk to combine.
- Add to dry ingredients, mix until just combined.
- Spoon mixture into muffin pan.
- Bake for 20 minutes 190 deg celsius.
It's not often I make savoury muffins but this were gooooood!! They mix up in one bowl (so it was easy to clean up afterwards) and taste lovely. I think they'd be really yummy with chili, corn chowder or some other "soupy" type meal. I wanted to cut down on the fat a bit though, so I used rice milk (Rice Dream) instead of butter milk. The only other thing I'd point out, is that I needed to cook them slightly longer than the recipe says, about 25 minutes.