Recipe by Leslie in Texas
This can be either a cooling starter or a light dessert. Three melons combine for this soup that is enhanced with mint and given a taste awakener with sparkling Asti Spumanti wine. Originally from a July 1983 Bon Apetit article that featured the soups of summer.
- 2 cups orange juice, freshly squeezed
- 1 1⁄2 cups cantaloupes, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 1⁄2 cups crenshaw melon, peeled and finely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup fresh lime juice
- 1⁄4 cup honey
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons of fresh mint, minced
- 2 cups asti spumante sparkling wine (or other sparkling white wine)
- 1 cup watermelon, peeled, seeded and finely chopped
- fresh mint sprig (garnish)
Directions See How It's Made
- Puree orange juice,cantalope, crenshaw melon, and lime juice in food processor, in batches if necessary.
- Mix in honey, sugar and mint.
- Pour puree into a nonmetal container.
- Add wine and watermelon and mix well.
- Cover and refrigerate several hours or overnight.
- Garnish each serving with a mint sprig.