Prep 30 mins
Cook 15 mins
I love this recipe in the summer when strawberries are at their peak. The shortcake is just a slightly sweetened biscuit that pairs well with the tart strawberries and some whipped heavy cream.
- 4 pints strawberries, rinsed and hulled
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter, cold and cut into small pieces
- 3⁄4 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup heavy cream, whipped, add sugar as desired
- Preheat oven to 400º F.
- Cut strawberries in half and combine with 1/4 cup sugar. Set aside.
- In a large bowl combine flour, baking powder, 3 tablespoons sugar, and salt. Add the cold butter pieces and use a pastry blender, fork, or your fingertips to combine until the mixture resembles a coarse meal. Add the cream a little at a time combining with a fork.
- Place dough on a floured work surface and knead gently just until the dough is not sticky.
- Roll the dough out 1/2 thick and cut with a 3 inch cutter.
- Bake for 10 to 15 minutes until lightly golden. Cool slightly.
- Split biscuits and top with strawberries and whipped cream.