Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is a very easy and very tasty side dish that goes well with poultry, beef or pork. Try serving it instead of potatoes or stuffing. From the kitchen of Tona Thornburg Court, Bridgeton MO.
- 6 cups summer squash, cubed
- 1⁄4 cup onion, chopped
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can cream of chicken soup
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 cup shredded carrot
- 1 (8 ounce) package herb seasoned stuffing mix
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1⁄2 cup margarine, melted
- In saucepan, cook cubed squash and onion in boiling salted water for 5 minutes; drain.
- Combine cream of chicken soup and sour cream. Stir in shredded carrot. Fold in drained squash and onion.
- Combine stuffing mix and butter or margarine. Spread half of stuffing mixture in bottom of 9x13 baking dish.
- Spoon vegetable mixture atop. Sprinkle remaining stuffing over vegetables.
- Bake in 350 degree oven for 25-30 minutes or until heated through.
- OPTIONAL: Brown 6 pork chops in skillet. Then transfer to baking dish. Add the Summer Squash Casserole layers as indicated above and bake.
Totally Awesome Dish! I made this dish using patty pan squash and served it along with fried chicken and "fresh from the garden" sliced tomatoes. Fabulous! Thank you for a great recipe : )
I LOVE this dish! I chose to make this for the entire family this Thanksgiving and I can't wait to get the reviews from everyone else!