Prep 20 mins
Cook 10 mins
This is delicious! Perfect on its own or as a side dish. This salad really goes with any meal but especially well with hummus and pita bread, or barbecue fare. It is very filling and can be doubled indefinitely to feed a large crowd. Take it to a barbecue or potluck and watch it dissappear!
- 2 cups cooked couscous, cool to room temp
- 1 scallion, thin sliced
- 1 small cucumber, peel,seed and small dice
- 1 tomatoes, diced
- 1 small green bell peppers or 1 small yellow bell pepper, seed and dice
- 1⁄4 cup feta
- 1 clove garlic, minced very fine
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons red wine or 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- dried basil, to taste
- red pepper (optional)
- In a small bowl or cup, whisk together oil and vinegar.
- Mix in garlic and scallion and seasonings and set aside.
- Mix cooled couscous and vegetables.
- Add cheese and fold gently.
- Drizzle in dressing as you gently fold.
- Refrigerate until serving.
- Top with red peppers for garnish.
I made this twice in one week, because my little box of couscous makes five cups and it was so good the first time that I had to do it again. I served it with #15580 and hummus and pita bread for two of my rock climbing buddies. The boys loved the chicken and I LOVED the couscous. The only change I made was to use fresh basil and instead of trusting my whisking skills, I put the vinegar in the blender with the seasonings and drizzled in the oil. Also, it didn't say if feta should be crumbled so I chopped it into small pieces instead and I liked it that way. The second time I made it, I chopped my garlic instead of pressing it and the garlic was more overwhelming - hot each time I bumped into a chunk of it.<br/><br/>Update 4/9/2014: This salad remains a staple, but I needed something grain-free and dairy-free. I subbed cauliflower couscous (pulsed in my food processor and sauteed in oil) for the regular couscous and pine nuts for the feta. Still a winner!
Perfect for a hot summer afternoon. Served with #15580 and it was a hit.
This was absolutely delicious and could not have been easier. I made it for friends who like things spicier than I and it was very easy to "amp up" the heat for them, while I got to maintain my soft tissue (lips, gums, etc). Thanks SO much for sharing:) Elise