Prep 20 mins
Cook 15 mins
This is a Weight Watchers Core recipe. Although it uses skim milk, this produces a hearty, comforting and satisfying meal. For those counting points, it would be 4 per serving
- 1 medium yukon gold potato
- 1⁄2 cup celery, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup onion, chopped
- 4 pieces corn on the cob, kernels removed with a knife
- 1 cup sweet red pepper, diced
- 4 ounces Canadian bacon, diced
- 2 cups skim milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon table salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄8 teaspoon hot pepper sauce (to taste)
- Pierce potato in several places with a fork; microwave on high power until tender, turning over once, about 5 minutes. Allow to cool; peel and mash.
- Meanwhile, coat a large saucepan with cooking spray. Add celery, onion, corn and red pepper; sauté over medium-high heat for 5 minutes.
- Stir bacon and milk into saucepan; stir in mashed potato and mix well. Season with salt, pepper and hot pepper sauce; stir to combine. Cover and simmer 10 minutes (do not allow to boil). Yields about 1 1/2 cups per serving.
- Feel free to substitute your favorite fresh vegetables like asparagus and broccoli for the red pepper. Or to save time, substitute 2 cups of frozen corn and 1 cup of frozen, diced bell pepper for the fresh corn and red pepper.
Very delicious! Easy to make and satisfying!
DH and I have really enjoyed this chowder!! It is a very snowy day here...and this just fits the bill! We both agree that this will be made again. I did add garlic, and peeled the red pepper (the skin doesn't agree with me) Thank you Kelbel....in memory of Eric!
In Memory of Eric. This is a great recipe and doesn't taste "diet". I did sub frozen corn for fresh, but I don't think it affected the recipe whatsoever. This hit the spot for a cold winter night's dinner.