Prep 5 mins
Cook 20 mins
These will keep pretty well in a tin or glass jar and make nice holiday treats or gifts. Time does not include leaching the acorns or drying time.
- IF you are using raw acorns you will need to prepare them first. To do so put the acorns into a pot with enough water to cover. Bring the water to a boil, then drain. Repeat 3 times or till the bitterness is gone (the water should be clear). Once you have leached the nuts, dry them on a cookie sheet in a low oven (about 200°F) for 2 or 3 hours - till the nuts become brittle. Remove from the oven and cool.
- Mix sugar in water until sugar is dissolved. Bring to a boil.
- Dip the prepared acorn meats into boiling syrup.
- Thoroughly dry them on a greased pan.
- For variations you can use cinnamon, chili powder, ginger, or other spices. Add this after you dissolve the sugar but before you bring it to a boil.
What a treat! I'd gathered more acorns than I could plant from one of my trees and have an interest in what's edible just in the field and came across this. I did have to do the boiling and water changes more often - 6 or 7 times, but that would depend on the acorns, not the recipe. Thanks for posting this!