Prep 10 mins
Cook 8 hrs
Very easy recipe. Can be frozen. Cooking with the peels will add pectin and make the apples slightly sweeter as they cook.
- 10 cups apples (semi-tart, quartered and cored, not peeled)
- 1⁄4 cup unsweetened apple juice
- 2 cups frozen unsweetened strawberries
- Put all ingredients in crock pot. Cover and cook on Low for 8 hours or high for 4.
- With a slotted spoon, spoon apples in to a food mill and process over a large bowl. Sauce will be thick, you can add some of the crock pot juice if you like.
- Depending on the tartness of your apples, you may choose to sweeten.
- If using sugar, do so sparingly until you get to desired sweetness.
- If you want to freeze ladle into freezer bags and gently press out air, seal, and lie flat in freezer.
My son LOVES strawberry applesauce!! Unfortunately I can no longer find a brand without high fructose corn syrup or gobs of added sugar so I decided to try to make my own. I used this recipe with 11 little gala apples and 2.5 cups frozen strawberries. I cooked on low for 8 hours then put it all in a colander to drain. Reserved the liquid & used my immersion blender for a few pulses. Added 2T of sugar and 2 packets of stevia and YUM! Will be freezing in 1/2c containers for lunches and snacks. Thanks for sharing!
This is 5 star for me, no question. It is a useful and versatile recipe. I love anything sugar free and I love, just love to use my crockpot. I used frozen mixed berries and mashed it by fork so it is a rough puree, not a really fine one. The colour is not as pretty as if I had only used strawberries as the blueberries in the frozen mix make it a much darker colour. This made a generous amount and will be put with yoghurt and cereal for breakfasts this week. Made for Everyday is a Holiday.
This is so delicious! I used 4 large apples, 10 oz frozen strawberries, and 1/4 cup orange juice (didn't have apple.) No sugar needed, this tasted great as is, and was so easy. I used an immersion blender right in the crock. This is so great because it can be dressed up as desired after the fact...honey, cinnamon, sugar or other sweetener, lemon juice...warm or cold. YUM!