Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
these are chewy moist bars
- 8 ounces chopped pitted dates
- 1 teaspoon grated orange zest
- 6 tablespoons very hot water
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1⁄2 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 pinch salt
- Preheat oven to 350*.Lightly butter a 9" square pan.
- Finely chop the dates and orange zest in a food processor.
- With the motor running, gradually add the hot water to moisten the dates. Transfer to a large bowl.
- Add 1 cup of the powdered sugar, the eggs, oil and lemon juice.
- Beat with a wooden spoon until blended. Add the flour, cinnamon and salt, stir until blended.
- Spread the batter into the prepared pan. Bake for 25 minutes, or unti the edges begin to pull away from the sides of the pan.
- Cool on wire rack before cutting into bars.
- Place the remaining 1 cup of powdered sugra on a plate and roll the bars in the sugar to coat them.
- These keep especially well.