Prep 20 mins
Cook 12 mins
If you want a chewy cookies, underbake these cookies slightly. If you like crisp cookies, bake them a minute or two longer.
- 3⁄4 cup vegetable shortening
- 1 cup light brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1 large egg, beaten lightly
- 1⁄4 cup molasses
- 2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- sugar, for dipping the balls of dough
- In a bowl cream shortening with the brown sugar until mixture is light and fluffy. Stir in the egg and the molasses.
- In another bowl, sift together the flour, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger, cloves, and salt.
- Add the flour mixture, in batches, to the shortening mixture. Blend the dough well.
- Chill the dough, covered, for 1 hour.
- Roll leve1 tablespoons of the dough into balls, dip one side of each ball into the granulated sugar, and arrange sugared sides up about 3 inches apart on lightly greased baking sheets.
- Bake the cookies in batches in a 375° oven for 10 to 12 minutes, or until they are puffed and cracked on top.
- Transfer the cookies to racks and let them cool.