Recipe by Margaret3
Absolutely light as a feather. Folks will eat this one, no matter how stuffed they are! It stands very tall in the crust, due to the whipped egg whites.
Top Review by crazycookinmama
This was a hit at Thanksgiving dinner! For some reason my egg whites didn' whip up like they probably should have..it could have been operator error, since it was 12:30 am!!!! But it worked out great, beings I had a very long road trip to take with the pie and it probably wouldn't have made it otherwise. Very tasty. Thanks so much for a great recipe!
- 1 (9 inch) deep dish pie shells or 12 tart shells
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon plain gelatin
- 1 1⁄3 cups plain pumpkin (NOT pie filling mix)
- 1 cup dark brown sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon allspice
- 3 egg yolks
- 3 egg whites
- 6 tablespoons white sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- Bake the pie shell or tart shells according to package instructions, then cool.
- In a saucepan, combine milk and gelatin, heat and stir until gelatin is dissolved.
- Add pumpkin, brown sugar, spices and egg yolks.
- Cook until mixture thickens, about 10 minutes.
- Cool until mixture begins to set-about 20 minute.
- Beat the egg whites, gradually adding the white sugar, until stiff.
- With a wisk, fold egg whites into pumpkin mixture and mix thoroughly.
- Pile into pie crust or tart shells.
- Refrigerate. Serve with whipped cream or Cool Whip.