Prep 25 mins
Cook 50 mins
This was modified from the Barefoot Contessa, because I needed to find a simple, elegant menu using up five pounds of grapefruit in a hurry! The glaze is optional. This has a dense, almost pudding-like quality to it, but shouldn't be "wet". I top this with fresh sliced strawberries and mint sprigs, but you can use your imagination for combinations. Not a whole lot of fussy ingredients, easy to make, and tastes like something served in a fancy restaurant.
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 3 teaspoons grated grapefruit zest (from approximately one large grapefruit)
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- 3 large eggs
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract (pure, if you have it)
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
- 1⁄3 cup freshly squeezed grapefruit juice
For the optional glaze
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed grapefruit juice
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour a 8 1/2" x 4 1/4" x 2 1/2" inch loaf pan (standard size).
- Line the bottom of the pan with with parchment paper.
- Sift together the flour, baking powder, and salt into 1 bowl.
- In another bowl, whisk together the yogurt, 1 cup sugar, the eggs, grapefruit zest, and vanilla.
- Slowly whisk the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients.
- Fold the vegetable oil into the batter, making sure it’s all incorporated.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake for about 50 minutes, or until a toothpick stuck into the center of the loaf comes out clean.
- Meanwhile, prepare a simple syrup by cooking the 1/3 cup grapefruit juice and remaining 1/3 cup sugar in a small pan over medium heat until the sugar dissolves and the mixture is clear. Set aside.
- When the cake is done, allow it to cool in the pan for 10 minutes.
- Carefully turn out onto a baking rack over a sheet pan, making sure the cake is turned right side up.
- While the cake is still warm, pour the grapefruit-sugar mixture over the cake and allow it to soak inches Cool completely.
- If using the optional glaze, combine the 1 cup confectioners’ sugar and 2 tablespoons grapefruit juice and pour over the cooled cake.
- To serve; top slices with strawberries and mint, if you like, or anything else you can conjure up.