Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
Here's a one-skillet version of chicken and stuffing made with wholesome ingredients. I prefer chicken thighs because of the rich flavor of dark meat, but boneless, skinless breast works too. Serve with Brussels sprouts and mashed potatoes. From Eatingwell.com
- 29.58 ml olive oil, divided
- 177.44 ml celery, chopped
- 14.79 ml shallot, chopped
- 5 slice whole-wheat country bread, cut into 1/4-inch cubes
- 2.46 ml poultry seasoning, salt-free (see Shopping Tip)
- 354.88 ml reduced-sodium chicken broth, divided
- 680.38 g chicken thighs, boneless, skinless trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces (see Tip)
- 59.16 ml all-purpose flour, divided
- 2.46 ml fresh ground pepper
- 1.23 ml salt
- 591.47 ml mushrooms, quartered (6 ounces)
- 78.07 ml dry white wine or 78.07 ml dry sherry
- Position rack in upper third of oven; preheat broiler.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large ovenproof skillet over medium heat. Add celery and shallot; cook, stirring, until the shallot begins to brown, about 2 minutes. Add bread and poultry seasoning; cook, stirring, until the celery has softened and the bread begins to crisp, 2 to 3 minutes. Transfer the stuffing to a medium bowl and toss with 1/4 cup broth; set aside. Wipe out the pan.
- Toss chicken with 2 tablespoons flour, pepper and salt in a large bowl. Whisk the remaining 1 1/4 cups broth with the remaining 2 tablespoons flour in a small bowl and set aside.
- Add the remaining 1 tablespoon oil to the pan and heat over medium heat. Add the chicken (shaking off any excess flour) and mushrooms; cook, stirring, until the chicken is cooked through, about 8 minutes.
- Increase heat to medium-high; add wine (or sherry) and cook, scraping up any browned bits with a wooden spoon, until almost evaporated, about 2 minutes. Stir in the reserved broth-flour mixture and cook, stirring, until thickened, about 2 minutes more. Spoon the reserved stuffing over the chicken mixture. Transfer the pan to the oven and broil until the stuffing begins to crisp, about 4 minutes.
- TIPS & NOTES:.
- Shopping tip: Look for “salt-free” poultry seasoning near other spice mixes. If you can only find poultry seasoning with salt, reduce the salt to 1/8 teaspoon.
- Tip: To trim boneless, skinless chicken thighs, we like to use kitchen shears to snip the fat away from the meat. After trimming, you'll have four 4-ounce portions.