Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
A variation of a classic Mediterranian dish with a Mexican taste and flare.
Make and share this Stuffed Zucchini Mexicali recipe from Food.com.
- 2 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1 medium yellow onion (diced)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small sweet red pepper (cored, seeded, and diced)
- 1 small sweet green pepper (cored, seeded and diced)
- 1 (8 1/2 ounce) can sweet corn (drained)
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 lb bulk sweet Italian pork sausage
- 2 medium zucchini (7-8 inches each)
- 8 ounces monterey jack pepper cheese, shredded
- 1⁄4 cup pine nuts
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1⁄2 tablespoon dried cilantro
- salt (preferably Kosher salt)
- fresh ground pepper
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Halve the zucchini lengthwise and scoop out the pulp with a small spoon leaving a 3/8-inch-thick shell.
- Pour ½ of the tomato sauce in the bottom of an oven-proof baking dish.
- Place zucchini shells cut side up in the baking dish.
- Place olive oil in a large skillet and heat until hot but not smoking.
- Sauté garlic, onion and peppers until softened but not brown.
- Crumble sausage into skillet and brown.
- Drain grease from skillet and combine all remaining ingredients with the cooked vegetables and sausage with the exception of the cheese.
- Fill zucchini shells equally with sausage and vegetable combination, topping each with ¼ of the grated cheese Place baking dish on the center rack of the oven and bake about thirty minutes until the zucchini is tender.
- Let cool for a few minutes before serving.
Nice presentation & very tasty dish.Goes well with a crisp green salad & crusty rolls. Great dish for a luncheon - prepare in advance & just pop in the oven 20 minutes before serving Thanks whoever you are