1/1 Photo of Stuffed Shell Pierogies
LtlPhyl #2's Note:
This recipe was originally shared with me by a dear friend. So tasty as well as being an easy alternative to the traditional handmade Pierogies. While this is not difficult, it is a multi-step recipe. (1) cook pasta shells (2) potato preparation and cooking (3) potato mashing (4) onion slicing and cooking (5) stuffing pasta shells (6) layering onions and shells (7) baking. Cooking and preparation times are approximate.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 lbs potatoes, peeled & quartered (about 8)
- 8 ounces cheddar cheese, shredded (2 cups)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 6 cups onions, sliced (Vidalia, if you can get them)
- butter (I use lots) or margarine (I use lots)
- 1 (12 ounce) box jumbo pasta shells, cooked until tender-firm and cooled under running cold water
- 1Cooks potatoes until soft, drain. Add cheese, salt & pepper and mash until smooth.
- 2Melt margarine or butter in large skillet. Add onions and cook 10 to 15 minutes until tender but NOT browned. Spread half the onions over the bottom of a 13x9 baking dish. (May take 2 pans)
- 3Stuff each shell with heaping tablespoon of the potato mixture, close edges.
- 4Arrange in single layer over onions, spread remaining onions on top (you can use two pans or freeze the pierogies for later use).
- 5Bake at 350 degrees uncovered 15 to 20 minutes or until heated through.
Browse Our Top Pasta Shells Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Pasta Shells Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Stuffed Shell Pierogies
Serving Size: 1 (362 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 452.5
- Calories from Fat 93
- Total Fat 10.3 g
- Saturated Fat 6.2 g
- Cholesterol 29.8 mg
- Sodium 484.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 73.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.1 g
- Sugars 7.7 g
- Protein 17.4 g