Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
This is my version of a pizza burger. Adding the pizza sauce to the meat keeps the burger moist and gives it a real pizza taste. My sauce is simple, no precooking needed (I like the fresh tomato taste). Hope you try it!
For the Burgers
- 1 1⁄2 lbs ground beef
- 1⁄2 lb Italian sausage, Casings Removed
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 6 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon dried Italian seasoning
- 2 tablespoons goya light adobo seasoning
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup pizza sauce, plus more for spreading on rolls (recipe follows)
- 1 1⁄2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 6 kaiser rolls (Or any rolls you like)
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes (preferably San Marzano)
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1 tablespoon melted butter
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 6 fresh basil leaves, chiffonade (pile basil leaves, roll them up lengthwise, then slice across)
- Make the pizza sauce:.
- Combine all ingredients in a large bowl. That's it!
- Make the Burgers:.
- Heat a medium size skillet over low/med. heat. Add olive oil and onion, cook stirring occasionally for 3 minutes. Add garlic, cook stirring 2 minutes. Remove from heat let cool.
- In a large bowl add ground beef, Italian sausage, cooled onion and garlic mix, 1/2 cup pizza sauce, Italian seasoning and adobo. Mix to combine (don't over mix).
- Form 12 even thin patties about 1/2 inch thick place on baking sheet in a single layer. Add a spoonful of the shredded mozzarella onto the center of 6 patties. Top each with another patty and seal the edges.
- Heat a large skillet over medium/high heat (or grill). Cook burgers, flipping once (do not press down on them while cooking) about 5 minutes per side for medium or until desired doneness.
- Toast the Rolls:.
- Split each roll in half. Spread desired amount of pizza sauce on each half of the roll then place on baking sheet split side up. Toast rolls in preheated 400 degree oven for 5 to 7 minutes or until lightly browned.