Recipe by Sherri at the Beach
My husband and I were away in a cabin and stopped in a winery while out and about. The host had recommended a nice chardonnay in answer to my inquiry what to serve with bacon wrapped grilled chicken. But then he recommended stuffing them before wrapping rather than marinating. This is what I came up with. I thought my husband had died and gone to heaven the way he was moaning about the taste. He loved it.
- 4 button mushrooms, chopped fine
- 1 shallot, chopped fine
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped fine
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 4 chicken thighs (large)
- 12 slices bacon
Directions See How It's Made
- Prepare your charcoal for the grill (I'm sure this is good on gas too but the charcoal grilling was out of this world). Spray a 12x12 or so piece of heavy duty foil with cooking spray. When coals are ready, place a piece of heavy duty aluminum foil directly on the grill directly over the hot area.
- Saute the mushrooms, shallots, garlic in the butter over medium heat until soft. Remove from the pan to a plate to cool at least 10 minutes.
- (If you were trying to do the whole thing on the grill, I'm sure you could cook this mixture on a piece of foil also).
- Run your finger up under the skin of each thigh to make a pocket. Divide the mushroom mixture into fourths and stuff each thigh with 1/4 of the mixture. This takes some patience, but starting at one end of the thigh, wrap 3 pieces of bacon to secure the mushroom mixture inside and try to wrap each piece of chicken in the bacon.
- You can secure with toothpicks, but I didn't and it was fine. I just had to be careful when turning them over.
- Grill on the foil, turning every 10 minutes. Fat will accumulate on the foil, allow this to happen for the first 30 minutes of grilling.
- After 30 minutes, punch holes in the foil or remove it completely and allow the chicken skin side to have 10 minutes of direct grill contact.
- Serve hot and crispy.