Recipe by l0ve2c00k
Chayote is a vegetable that resembles a cactus on the outside. It has fine small torns and white on the outside. Grows extensively in the Caribbean and also in areas as Florida and Louisiana. The flesh is delicate and similar to summer squash.
- 6 chayotes, cut in halves
- 1 lb ground beef
- 3 tablespoons sofrito sauce
- 1⁄2 cup tomato sauce
- 12 slices American cheese or 12 slices cheddar cheese
- adobo seasoning
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large pot, boil halved chayotes until tender.
- In a large pan, add OO or non stick spray. Add tomato sauce and sofrito. Let simmer in medium heat for about 5 minutes.
- Add meat and season with adobo.
- When chayotes are done, remove the flesh in the middle area.
- Add this flesh to the meat.
- Stuff chayotes with meat.
- Cover with slice of cheese.
- Place in oven for 35 minutes @ 350°F
- Remove from oven and serve.