Stuffed Chayote With Mushrooms
- Ready In:
- 16 ounces chayotes, split with seed removed
- 2 ounces olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄4 cup Spanish onion, finely diced
- 1⁄4 cup celery, finely diced
- 1⁄2 cup green bell pepper, diced
- 1⁄2 cup shiitake mushroom, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup tomatoes, peeeled and diced
- 4 sprigs parsley, chopped
- salt, to taste
- black pepper, to taste
- Tabasco sauce, to taste
- 2 ounces cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 ounce parmesan cheese, grated
- Boil the chayote halves in salted water for approximately 10-15 minutes or until slightly tender, but not all the way cooked. Remove from water and set aside.
- Heat oil in a large saute pan over medium-high heat. Add the garlic and saute or 1 minutes. Add the onion, celery, mushrooms and bell pepper and cook until the moisture has evaporated.
- Turn the heat to low and add the tomatoes and parsley. Season with the salt, pepper and tabasco sauce. Let cool slightly.
- Spoon the mixture into the squash halves and top with the cheeses.
- Bake in a preheated 350degree oven until the filling is throughly heated and the squash is tender. Approximatly 20 minutes. Serve immidiately.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
<p>I am a trained chef, but my career has taken a back seat to my family and my sanity. I do work part time as a pastry chef/prep cook/expo at a small restaurant. It's really nice to work part time and do something I love.</p> <p>I have a five year old son, a newborn baby girl (as of 2013) and have been married for 8 years. <br /><br /><br /></p>