Although this calls for packaged stuffing mix, I think these would be a great way to use up leftover stuffing. Recipe source: Southern Living (September 2007)
- Prepare stuffing according to package directions (see note in description).
- In a skillet cook sausage over medium high heat, stirring until meat is no longer pink (8-10 minutes). Remove sausage with a slotted spoon from skillet, reserving drippings in skillet. Drain sausage on paper towels and set aside.
- In a cup stir together 1/4 cup water and lemon juice. Set aside.
- Cut apples in half, cutting through stem and bottom ends, scoop out apple pulp and cores into a bowl, leaving 1/4 inch shell. Rub the lemon juice mixture over cut sides of apple shells. Discard cores and seeds, chop the pulp and set aside.
- In the same skillet with the drippings over medium high heat sauté the onion and apple pulp for 5-10 minutes or until liquid evaporates and onion is tender.
- In a large bowl combine the stuffing, apple mixture, sausage and parsley. Spoon mixture into apple shells (1/2 cup stuffing mixture per apple shell).
- Place apples in a 13 x 9 inch baking pan and pour 1 cup cider vinegar around apples in dish.
- Bake at 350°F for 30-40 minutes or until apples are tender.
- If desired garnish with parsley.