Recipe by Red Apple Guy
This makes a pound of dough which makes one stromboli or two 10 inch pizzas. It's my go-to white flour dough for flat breads and stromboli. I often substitute up to 33% whole wheat for a healthier dough.
- 2⁄3 cup water (155 g room temperature)
- 1 tablespoon oil (14 g, I like olive oil)
- 2 cups flour (256 g all purpose flour)
- 1 tablespoon sugar (18 g)
- 1 teaspoon table salt (scant teaspoon, 5 g)
- 1 1⁄3 teaspoons instant yeast (4 g)
Directions See How It's Made
- Add ingredients in the order given in a bread machine and use the dough cycle or --.
- Mix in a large bowl until all ingredients are wetted, cover and let rest 5 minutes.
- Knead for 5 minutes by hand using a minimum of flour and place in a straight sided container that has been oiled and cover.
- After 20 minutes, tip dough onto a lightly oiled counter and stretch into a rectangle. Fold the top down and the bottom up letter-style and do the same side to side. Replace into the container and cover.
- After the dough has risen to twice it's volume, tip the dough onto a lightly floured counter and cover with oiled plastic wrap.
- For stromboli:.
- Roll the dough into a rectangle, 16 inches wide, by 11 1/4 inch tall. Place ingredients of choice (hard salami, ham, roast beef, provolone, mozzarella, onions, or roasted peppers) and roll into a log, sealing the tube well with seam on side.
- Preheat oven to 350 F while the dough rises (45 minutes to 1 hour). Brush with egg and water or egg white and water glaze, score the dough with several shallow slashes and bake for 45 minutes or until interior temperature is 185 to 200°F.
- For Pizza:.
- Divide the dough into 2 equal pieces and stretch into a 10" disk. If the dough shrinks after stretching, wait 5 minutes and stretch some more.
- Preheat (preferably with a pizza stone) to 500°F Cover dough with toppings (I like drained canned crushed tomatoes as a sauce) and let rise for 20 minutes.
- Bake for 4 minutes. Turn the pizza for even cooking and bake until the dough is browned some, and the cheese is bubbly (about 3-4 more minutes).