Prep 5 mins
Cook 1 hr
This recipe comes from a Nov 2003 local newspaper clipping, in response to a reader looking for a recipe for a cake similar to one at a Hometown Buffet restaurant in Ohio. Preparation time is mostly the time it takes to chill & set up.
- 1 angel food cake
- 2 (3 1/2 ounce) packages instant vanilla pudding
- 3 cups milk
- 2 cups sour cream
- 1 (21 ounce) can strawberry pie filling
- 1 (8 ounce) container Cool Whip
- Tear cake into bite-sized pieces & put in a 13"x9" baking dish.
- In a bowl, mix milk, sour cream & pudding until thickened.
- Spread over cake, & let chill 30 minutes.
- Spread pie filling on top of cake.
- Spread whipped cream over top of pie filling.
- Chill in refrigerator. Can be made a day ahead.
had to try this recipe it was on a tag game so got alot of recipies off that ...made it with the "mom's sstrawberry pie" so it was more homeade. We went to town but had supper with my favorite daughter in law (only have one) she loved it & definately wants the recipe, also had to borrow an angle food pan so will return it with the recipe in it, cant wait to try it again using maybe chocolate pudding & the strawberries mmmmmmm
the purfect summer's dessert this is wonderful! I used Light-As-A-Cloud Whipped Cream for the whipped cream, I am going to experimant with different pie fillings, thanks for sharing this great dessert Syd!
What a great dessert! I took it to a weekend potluck and it was gone in the blink of an eye. I had a lot of fresh strawberries that needed using so I made a double batch of the topping portion of Mom's Strawberry Pie and subbed it for the canned pie filling. I assembled it the night before and the cake did not get at all soggy. Just before serving I smeared on the Cool Whip (strawberry flavor) and topped it all off with a full layer of sliced strawberries. I loved that this was so easy to make even in my RV kitchen, not overwhelmingly sweet thanks to the addition of the sour cream and looked like a million bucks! Thanks for sharing your recipe!