Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
An old fashioned steamed dumpling-berry pudding. I got this out of an old fashioned cookbook from my Great Grandmother, and the description says; "Flummer, Fool, Grunt, Slump, and Buckle were variations of old English puddings made with fruit. They were also common in early America" I will post 3 of the five variations
- 1 pint fresh strawberry
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 cup water
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 cup flour
- 4 tablespoons sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 2 tablespoons sour milk
- In a medium sauce pan mix water with sugar and lemon juice.
- Bring to a boil.
- Add strawberries. Cover, reduce heat and simmer 5 minutes.
- In a mixing bowl combine flour, the 4 Tbsps. sugar, baking soda, and salt.
- Cut in butter with a pastry blender.
- Stir in sour milk with a fork till ingredients are just moistened. Drop by teaspoonfull into the simmering strawberry liquid.
- Cover and let simmer about 12 minutes. (Do NOT lift cover.)
- Serve wit thick cream or ice cream.