Prep 30 mins
Cook 50 mins
This great pie recipe comes from the Company's Coming - Gifts from the Kitchen. I find a large pie is sometimes too much for me, so I have made 6 or 7 small 5" pies using this recipe. I bake them in the meat pie pans and then freeze them. That way I can take out one pie and enjoy it without having the rest of the pie to temp me. I also freeze my rhubarb and strawberries in these required measures and keep them in a separate container in the freezer, knowing then these are the right measurements for this favourite pie recipe.
- 709.77 ml chopped fresh rhubarb (or frozen, thawed)
- 236.59 ml sliced fresh strawberries (or frozen,thawed)
- 236.59 ml sugar
- 44.37 ml flour
- 2.46 ml lemon juice
- 1 9" unbaked pie shell
- 158.51 ml flour
- 118.29 ml brown sugar, packed
- 2.46 ml ground cinnamon
- 78.07 ml hard margarine or 78.07 ml butter
- Combine fruit, sugar, flour and lemon juice and stir well.
- Turn into pie shell.
- To make topping; combine dry ingredients and cut in margarine until crumbly.
- Sprinkle over rhubarb mixture.
- Bake at 375 degF for about 50 minutes.
- Cut into 8 wedges.
Used half the sugar and twice the strawberries. Followed previous reviewer's suggestion about letting fruit/flour/sugar mixture sit for 10 minutes and then adding an additional 2T flour before pouring into crust. Fabulous!
Made this pie for my Dad for Father's Day. A huge hit.
Only thing I did different was substitute 1/2 cup tapioca for 3T. flour in the fruit.
I loved this pie -- easy to make and delicious. Next time, however, I might use a bit less sugar so that the taste of the fruit is a bit more pronounced. So good!