Recipe by OhSheila
I love to make coffee cakes! This recipe bursts with the strawberry flavor and is scrumptious. Topped with the crunchy pecans, it's a hit every time.
Top Review by *Z*
Yummy!! I did something out of the ordinary for me and actually used the pecans in this. I don't like nuts so I usually omit them, but I'm glad I put them on. They gave this a nice crunchy topping.It has a nice flavor of strawberry too.
- 1 cup fresh strawberries or 1 cup frozen strawberries, cut into pieces
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar, packed
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄3 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 large egg
- 1⁄4 cup pecans, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons milk
- 1⁄4 teaspoon vanilla
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- If using frozen strawberries, thaw and cut into pieces. Combine with brown sugar and set aside.
- Spray an 8” round cake pan with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, granulated sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt. In a separate bowl, combine sour cream, butter, vanilla and egg. Mix well and add to flour mixture. Stir until just moistened.
- Spoon 2/3 of the batter into prepared pan. Spread strawberry mixture evenly over the batter. Top with remaining batter. Sprinkle pecans on top.
- Bake for 40 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in the center comes out clean. Let cool for 10 minutes on a wire rack before removing from pan.
- ICING: Combine confectioners’ sugar, milk and vanilla. Stir well and drizzle icing over cake. Serve warm or at room temperature.