Recipe by anonymous
This comes from the Ball Blue Book - it is absolutely one of my favorites! The crystallized ginger makes it so special! The butter reduces the foam making skimming unnecessary but don't add more than 1/2 teaspoon as this may raise the ph level too much and make the recipe unsafe for canning. In canning recipes it is best to use bottled lemon juice which has a stable, known ph because fresh lemon juice can vary in acidity.
- 3 cups crushed strawberries
- 3 kiwi fruits, peeled and diced
- 1 tablespoon minced crystallized ginger
- 1 (1 3/4 ounce) packagepowdered pectin
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 5 cups sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon butter
Directions See How It's Made
- Hull the strawberries and crush them one layer at a time (I usually do this with a potato masher in an 8x8 baking dish in about 3 batches.) Peel and dice the kiwi fruits.
- Combine the crushed strawberries, diced kiwi, crystallized ginger, powdered pectin and lemon juice in a large stockpot.
- Bring to a boil, stirring frequently. Add sugar and butter, stirring until dissolved. Return to a rolling boil and boil hard for 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat and ladle the hot jam into hot jars, leaving 1/4 inch headspace. Adjust two-piece caps.
- Process for 10 minutes in a boiling-water canner (adjust for altitude).