Prep 2 hrs
Cook 7 mins
I recently saw this recipe on "The View". All the ladies thought it was 'really good', except for Barbara Walters who thought it was just 'good'. I haven't prepared it yet but would like to know your opinion. I like Cool Whip for it's convenience but, for those who prefer real whipped cream try my recipe for Stabilized Whipped Cream. I've guesstimated the servings and prep time which includes allowing the jello to set. NOTE: Fresh pineapple should NOT be used in this recipe or any other recipe containing Jello because the jello will not set. This is 'not true' with canned pineapple.
- 2 cups crushed thin unsalted pretzels
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 3⁄4 cup melted butter
- 1 (8 ounce) package Philadelphia Cream Cheese
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 (8 ounce) container Cool Whip
- 1 (6 ounce) package strawberry Jell-O gelatin dessert
- 2 cups boiling water
- 2 (10 ounce) packages frozen strawberries, thawed
- 1 (8 ounce) can crushed pineapple (DO NOT use fresh pineapple)
- Mix pretzels, 3 tablespoons sugar and butter.
- Spread mixture over bottom of a 9x13 inch baking dish.
- Bake at 400°F for 7 minutes.
- Let cool 1 hour.
- Blend cream cheese, 1 cup sugar and Cool Whip and spread over pretzel mixture.
- Dissolve strawberry Jello in 2 cups boiling water.
- Add frozen strawberries and pineapple.
- Chill until partially jelled.
- Then pour over the cream cheese mixture.
This is one of DD's favorite salads. However I have never tried it with pineapple. We loved it. The only problem I had was it didn't set up, I'm thinking I didn't get the pineapple drained good enough. Going to try again in a couple weeks. We still ate it (in bowls) and loved the flavor. Thank you for sharing this with us.
Yum! I like this dessert with the exception of the jell-o. The first time I ever had this, the jell-o was omitted and I've perferred it that way ever since. I like to use fresh strawberries mixed with a little sugar and spread it on top.
This tasted just like my mother's and was just what I was looking for. I did make a few changes due to not paying attention and missing ingredients. I forgot the sugar in the pretzel crust and had only salted pretzels. I used about 1 1/2 cups of heavy cream which I whipped and folded into the cream cheese as I didn't have CoolWhip. Fresh strawberries were also used. This was yummy and liked by everyone except Simi who refused to even try it because it has Jello in it. The rest of the family agreed it was her loss and just meant all the more for us.(21)