Recipe by Mindi Bunch
I got this recipe from the Betty Crocker website. I haven't made it yet, but it's definitely on my list of things to make this summer. If you get to make this before I do, please let me know how it turns out.
- 1 (18 1/4 ounce) package white cake mix
- 3⁄4 cup water
- 1 (1/4 ounce) packageunsweetened strawberry drink mix
- 1 tablespoon lime zest
- 3⁄4 teaspoon rum extract
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen sliced strawberries, thawed, undrained
- 8 fresh strawberries (to garnish, optional)
- 3 eggs
- 1 (15 ounce) container vanilla frosting (The Betty Crocker website recommends their Betty Crocker Pour & Frost type.)
- 2 teaspoons lime zest
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oven to 350°F Grease bottom only of 13x9-inch pan with shortening or spray bottom with cooking spray.
- In large bowl, beat cake mix, water, drink mix (dry), 1 tablespoon lime peel, the rum extract, thawed strawberries and eggs with electric mixer on low speed 30 seconds. Beat on medium speed 2 minutes, scraping bowl occasionally. Pour into pan.
- Bake 30 to 35 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 15 minutes.
- If using the recommended frosting, uncover tub of frosting and remove foil. Microwave frosting on High 20 to 30 seconds or until pourable. Stir in 2 teaspoons lime peel. Pour frosting over cake; spread evenly. Serve warm or cool. Store loosely covered at room temperature. Just before serving, cut whole strawberries in half, leaving leaves on. Garnish cake with strawberry halves.